Monday, July 23, 2012

German Chocolate Cake...

Last week I made a German chocolate cake, it was amazing if I do say so myself....
I made it because my dad (who isn't a big talker) mentioned to me "in passing" about 3 times in one week, so I decided to make one.
The last(and first) German chocolate cake I made was vegan, and the reviews I got back from it were "Yummy, but not like the real thing..."
I decided to make a recipe closer to the real thing!
Here's the recipe:

This is a 3-layer cake with coconut gloppy/yummy frosting in between each layer

Ingredients for the cake:
-4 ounces of "bakers" sweet (or semi-sweet)chocolate
-1/2 cup of boiling water
-1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
-1 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
-4 eggs (separate yolks and whites)
-1 cup of butter (Yes, that's one WHOLE cup)
-1 1/2 cups of sugar (I took some out from the original recipe, but I bet it could be made with just 1 cup)
-1 cup of buttermilk
-1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract

1. For starters each of the 3 cakes are cooked in a round 9-inch cake pan, and the oven should be at 350 degrees F (preparing the cakes takes a good amount of time, so you may want to start the oven later on in the cake  prep)
2. Melt the chocolate in the boiling water, and set it aside.
3. Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt, again set it aside.
4. Separate the eggs, beat the egg whites until they are stiff, and put in the fridge.
5. Mix/cream the the butter and sugar, then add the egg yolks, and the vanilla(I did this by hand, although it would be MUCH faster if I had used a mixer...)
6. Then add the chocolate/water mixture to the butter/sugar mixture.
7. Then alternate between adding the buttermilk and flour mixture.
8. Fold in the egg whites (Hehe I realized I forgot to add the egg whites after I put the first cake in the oven, it still turned out okay and nobody noticed, so SHH!)
9. Separate the cake in to 3 (I just eyeballed it).
10. Then add the 1st cake to the 9-in cake pan, but WAIT you need to lightly oil the pan, then place a piece of circular wax in the bottom of the pan, lightly oil over the wax paper, and then lightly flour the pan. After you get it lightly covered tap the pan sideways to get out any extra flour.
11. Put your first cake in the oven for 30-35 minutes (I made each one separately, BUT if you want I'm sure you could bake 2 at a time)
12. This might be a good time to start the frosting!
13. Before you remove the cake from the pan, it needs to cool for at least 15 minutes. Then go ahead and pop it it out!

The frosting...
Ingredients:
-1 1/2 of condensed milk or coconut milk (I used 1/2 almond and 1/2 coconut milk, but the frosting didn't thicken very well, although it worked out in the end after I added a little bit of tapioca, so I feel like the condensed milk would be a safe bet...)
- 1 cup of white/cane sugar
- 4 egg yolks (You'll have to toss the whites or make an omelet)
- 3/4 cup of butter (Yes, more butter ;p)
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 2 cups of unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 1/2 cups of pecans

1. Mix milk, sugar, yolks, butter and vanilla in a pan over medium heat.
2. Stir over the heat until it begins to thicken (about 10-15 minutes)
3. Add coconut and pecans, remove from heat, let it sit (The frosting will thicken more).
4. Then frost between each layer and on top of the cake.

The last step is to EAT IT!

*Note this is NOT low calorie, but it's worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment